Sunday, September 20, 2009

Life's messes




I know this woman. She is very neat. Everything in her house is immaculate. If you walk in at any given time you'd think you walked into a photo shoot for Better Homes and Gardens. She has very elegant taste. She takes impeccable care of her things. So much so that her possessions never show signs of wear. And that works for her, it's what makes her happy; cleanliness is next to Godliness and all.


But it got me to thinking; does her life show signs of wear?

My house is a mess. Don't ever just drop in, because I promise you I will not be prepared for company. Of course when company does come, my house is neat, but day-to-day my husband and I are disorganized at best. I put on a neat façade.

I think I'm ok with that though. I think my life shows signs of wear. I've been known to sacrifice cleanliness for good sheer reckless abandon. And I think that's a good thing. I've also been guilty of wasting an afternoon on a sunny day lying in the grass with my husband, daydreaming about a landscaping project, even when I had a sink full of dishes. Or at the drop of a hat be willing to run off to go for a walk or have lunch with a friend. Damn the chores, I figure the housework will be there when I come back; the opportunity to cocoon with my husband may not.

Now I'm not well traveled or haven't done anything supremely crazy in my life, other then hot air ballooning, a helicopter ride, and a few good road trips perhaps. But still I feel I've embraced things that maybe my clean friend has not. Like messy painting projects that take days to complete and digging in the dirt on a regular basis. Like diving into creative endeavors and various money making schemes. I've tried to expand my world. I've tried to give it some dimension, some scope outside the norm.

That is why I did years of craft boutiques and art shows. That's how I attempted to start a decorating business and a jewelry business, and why I freelance jobs. Maybe I'm enterprising; maybe I'm just in search of more. More fulfillment and more satisfaction to my being. I know too many people that just exist day to day, whose life is nothing but a daily grind of the same job, the same dinners, the same TV. Grinding away at the best years of their lives. Their life doesn't get too messy. I don't want to be that way.

So here again I sit, another project at hand. Another side gig hoping to be a second job. I'm letting my housework slide so I can put my thoughts to print. It always energizes me to start something new. Gets my blood pumping and the synapses firing. Maybe this time, I can bring it to fruition. Maybe once I feel fulfilled, I can get to those dishes.