Friday, May 14, 2010

Not a Care in the World




This morning I got out in the garden pretty early. The sun was finally shining and clearing my head as well as the sky. As I stood on the south hill, barely visible from the street, I heard a little girl singing.

She was singing the ABC song as loud as she possibly could. When I looked up to see her I saw a pink bike, fully equipped with handle bar tassels and training wheels. Her helmet matched her bike, and her blond curls escaped from underneath. Her Dad and other siblings accompanied her as they strolled slowly down the street.

I spoke out loud to myself with a smile, "remember when times were so simple...". I shook my head and then answered myself, "when you didn't care who heard you...pure and utter joy".

I barely remember ever feeling like that.

How come as children we are able to experience complete ignorance and bliss but we lose that capability as we age?

Does it count that I regularly talk to myself and to the critters in the garden?